We recently completed our refurbishment and it's brilliant! The Acer B&B looks romantic, absolutely gorgeous, as well as being spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. Luxurious silks, sturdy pale oak, state of the art televisions and beautiful lighting. Combine all of this with a nod to Charles Rennie Makintosh, Hercule Poirot, the first 30 years in the life of 52 Scarcroft Hill (1900 to 1930), the golden age of rail travel, seduction courtesy of Jack Vetriano, and The Acer has been transformed into a contemporary guest house.
There are currently circa 354 independent, genuine reviews about The Acer Guest House on TripAdvisor. The reviews are glowing and getting ever more complimentary after the recent redecoration of the B&B (especially for the fabulously romantic four poster room).
This multi award winning (notably for breakfast), 4 star, Silver Accolade B&B with readily available free parking, free cycle storage and free WiFi is run by proprietor Karen Allen. Karen, who has over 30 years experience of working in the hospitality industry, offers professional, discrete, unobtrusive and friendly service in a relaxed and comfortable environment.
Stay with Karen in the peace and quiet of a residential street, only minutes walk from the hustle and bustle of the city with it's many excellent bars, pubs and restaurants. Book a table at Melton's meltonsrestaurant.co.uk, one of York's top fine dining restaurants, and stroll a few blocks home to The Acer guest house afterwards. Alternatively try dinner in the bistro at the stylish, boutique Hotel Du Vin hotelduvin.com (look out for their excellent special offers in their bar and Bistro) and be back at The Acer B&B in a matter of moments. Should Italian be your food of choice go to one of Karen's favourites, Delrio's ; it's well worth braving the trip down into the basement!
Please be aware that, especially during periods of high demand such as weekends and school holidays, I do NOT place all of the availability on the internet. If the internet is showing The Acer as fully booked this may not actually be the case. Call me direct (01904 653839) as rooms may be available but not for sale on the net.
York Racecourse is only 10 minutes walk from the B&B.
Stuck for a gift idea? How about an Acer Gift Certificate? The Certificate can be redeemed whenever it suits the recipient (subject to availability at the B&B) and, when purchased, is valid for a minimum of one year. Ideal as a wedding gift for the couple who already have enough toast racks.
Mini moon package for your honeymoon at The Acer Guest House. £195 for a two night stay (Sunday to Thursday) in our luxurious four poster en suite room. The package includes breakfast (served in the privacy of your bedroom if desired), a bottle of chilled champagne, fresh orange juice on arrival and a bowl of fresh fruit.
York is well served by public transport, we have free cycle storage or we have free parking at The Acer Guest House. Guests are given keys so that they may come and go as they please (although you are very welcome to stay in the room around the clock). We are ideally located for a "Mini Moon" on a quiet, peaceful, residential street only 10 minutes walk from the city with it's vibrant bar and cafe culture and visitor attractions.
"INSIDER TIPS". Updated October 8th.
Want to stay somewhere recently refurbished? The Acer B&B has been fully redecorated...it's fantastic if I say so myself!
- Horse racing this Friday and Saturday, October 9th and 10th.
- Book your tickets for The Jorvik Viking Museum on line and avoid the queues.
- York Dungeon - Ask me for a voucher and save 40% on the entrance fee.
- Restaurants serving Halal meat - Kapadokya Turkish on George Hudson Street (serves alcohol), Lal Quila on Bishopthorpe Road (serves alcohol), Akbar's on George Hudson Street (serves alcohol). (Source of information is the University of York website.)
- Overseas visitors don't to regard York as simply a convenient overnight stop (which it undoubtedly is) between London and Edinburgh. York is 2 hours by train from King's Cross London and 2.5 hours by train from Edinburgh (5 hours and 4.5 hours by car respectively).
- Never mind Bicester Retail Village come to York and visit our recently revamped Designer Outlet. Close to the city centre, great parking, an excellent public transport service and a smart new food court. If you can't do the "Oxford, Blenheim Palace, Bicester triangle" get your discount shopping/culture fix here at York.
- Be careful when you look at internet review sites. Read the reviews by all means but any ranking system they use is determined by how much money the site owners (e.g. Expedia, Thomas Cook) can earn from bookings made at the establishments.
- If you use internet booking sites apply the "filters" which will really help you. "Most popular" means most popular with the owners of the site i.e. those establishments paying the most commission to the site owner for your booking rather than most popular with previous guests. Get internet savvy guys!
- Parking at The Acer is plentiful and free of charge and there is never a problem getting parked here.
- Accommodation providers really, really appreciate bookings made direct rather than through the internet. Make my day, give me a call, 01904 653839, and speak direct to me...